The origins of Primitive Methodism in Far Cotton (or Cotton End, as it was then known) are somewhat obscure, but the cause had developed by 1863 when it was decided to acquire premises.
In that year a chapel in Henley Street, believed to have been used by the Baptists, was bought for £237.12.8. The name of Far Cotton Primitive Methodist Chapel first appeared on the Plan in 1864.
The cause progressed, and this chapel was demolished some 20 years later to build a new one. The foundation stones of the Henley Street Chapel which many still remember, were laid on 2nd August 1888.
Looking up Henley Street to Letts Road, from Atkinsons' shop on the corner of Main road. 19th July 1964. Thanks to Robin Puryer
Henley Street / Main Road as seen from the Water column opposite the entrance to row 10 of the shed with St Marys, Delapre Street and Atkinson's shop on the corner of Main Road and Henley Street. 4th October 1964. Thanks to Robin Puryer
Wendy Wake Nee Clare in her pram
Two Pictures of W Gamage at the corner of Henley Street in 1900
Len Scott in the rear of No. 6. Henley Street
Jack Bancutt behind No. 11 Henley Street
The Bottom of Henley Street in 1947 looking towards the Gasometer. In the photo is Audrey(9) and Terry Ward(2). It is taken just outside their front door at number 4 opposite the Shop. Proprietor. Mrs. Joan Duggan, who took the photo. Thanks to Audrey Ward.
This is a photo of Norman Hilliers Fuel Merchants next to the Salvation Army Hall at Number 40 Henley Street. This was taken in the late 50's early 60's
Back of 6 Henley St 1949 Irene (Rene) Clare
Nora and Irene Clare back of 16 Henley St 1938
Back of 6 and 8 Henley St 1940
Henley St 1955. Lady with Snow ball is Joyce Baucutt
Henley St 1970
James Bland with his horse and cart in Henley Street