TIME LINE for FAR COTTON.
1805 - 2007
- Horse Drawn railway opened from Cotton End to Blisworth
- The towns MP, Spencer Percival, beacme Prime Minister
- Spencer Percival Northampton MP and Prime Minister shot dead in the house of Commons by John Bellingham
- Canal from Blisworth to Northampton opened.
- Present South Bridge was built
- Phipps Brewery moved to Bridge Street.
- Original Gas Works opened.
- Map available
- Northamptonshire police force formed
- Map available
- The town tolls discontinued by an order of the town council;
The toll gate in Cotton end taken down; Northampton police formed in May
Queen Victoria comes to the throne.
Floods in Far Cotton
First Official Census taken.
- Bridge Street Station opened in Hardingstone Parish.
- Northampton almagamated day and night police force into one force
- Old lock house pulled down
Land purchased for railway workers houses near Bridge street station. This was reported in a
paper on 05.02.1853.
Castle Station opened. Lion & Lamb Inn closed
Baptist Church in Far Cotton.
The Methodists bought an existing building in what we knew as Henley St.
Services were taking place in the above Chapel. John Clare Northampton Poet dies in Northampton Asylum.
- Far Cotton Boys' School erected in by General Bouverie
Sunday school held in little building near railway opposite school now demolished. Lion Brewery sold.
Marked on some maps as New Zealand
Still under Hardingstone parish
St Johns St Station opened.
- Cattle Market opened off Victoria Promenade
- Map available. St Mary's C of E meeting in barn on old Manor House site. Heavy floods.
Phipps Brewery opened a swimming baths in Cattle Market Rd
using warm water from their brewery.
Last of Northampton Castle leveled for expansion to Castle Station
Chronicle and echo founded. Flooding in Cotton. Bradlaugh Elected
Horse drawn trams started. S .Hollowell's G.Grandfather appears on the 1881 census
in Oxford St. Stone cross blew from roof of Old Cotton School in storm
May 18th Foundation Stone laid for St Mary's Church
St Mary's Church consecrated on 29th October by Bishop of Peterborough
- Schools close for 1 week for Queens Jubilee celebrations: Prince Albert opens new wing of Infirmary
N/pton became a county borough. August 2nd foundation stone laid for Second Methodist Chapel built on same site in Henley St.
1st Cycle parade took place in the town.
- July 26th Foundation stone laid for New Baptist Church in Abbey Road
4th July Abbey road Baptist Chapel opened. Land purchased from the Co-Op.
- First Motor car driven in town by Joseph Grose. Map available
Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee
- Barnam and Baileys show visits Northampton to great excitement
N/pton Co-Op Society as we know it started. No 1 branch in St Leonard's Rd.
25 of march Hardingstone Cemetery opened on Towcester Rd.
Electric Trams were introduced into the town but not Far Cotton, Crown foundry established north side Main Rd. Horse racing abandoned on Race course
Far Cotton Working Means Club was opened.
Midsummer Swimming Baths opened. Map available
Towns Streets tarred for the 1st time.
New Theatre opened. Widening of South Bridge for trams.
King George and Queen Mary came to town.
Start of 1st world war. Ransome Motor Company (Beedens) London Rd/Ransome Rd. 1st tram runs from cotton non stop to All Saints
End of 1st World War.
Far Cotton Co-Op Guild started. Still going?
Methodist bought land in Southampton Road.
Methodist School rooms opened. 1st Motor Buses
Edward VIII state visit to town.
Repertory Theatre founded.
- The R101, Britain's new giant airship, passed low over town centre on maiden voyage
Boys' Brigade started at Towcester Road Methodist Church Map available
The Borough Boundaries were extended. (Did this include us?)
Far Cotton Council school recorded as Junior Mixed.
Cow Meadow became Beckets Park. Far Cotton Library opened, built by co-op builders
January 28th - Schools closed for Day of Mourning when King George V laid to rest.
Coronation of King George VI
School children taken to New Theatre to see Peter Pan 8 shillings each went on Corporation buses
Start of 2nd World War. Floods. St Johns St Station closed. Lion Brewery building used as civil defence base May 6th - Sword dancers performed at New Theatre in Schools festival (photos available)
Rationing introduced. Map available
Children at school had special New Years Day assembly
Two rooms at Abbey Rd Baptist used as classrooms
The railings at the front of school removed on February 2nd
June 6th - Main Rd school assembled to hear news of invasion of Western Europe, prayers offered.
V.E. and V.J. Days
Victory celebrations on Recreation Ground washed out.
4th June Prefab building put up alongside the Methodist School room.
Map which shows Greyhound track. General election
Woman and Fish statue moved into Delapre Abbey Gardens Q-E. Infant school opened 21.03.1952
Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 2nd.
Brick built Epworth Hall replaces prefab for the Methodists.
New Theatre closes.
Delapre Abbey became Records office (Queen Mum opened it) Fire at Far Cotton Working Men's Club.
Tivoli Cinema closed. St Johns St Station demolished.
Bridge Street Station closed.;April Northampton / Northamptonshire police amalgamated
Boys Club Towcester Rd opened.
Bridge St Station demolished. T.R.M/C Playgroup opened Playgroup opened at TRMC
01.02 Decimal currency started
Letts Road demolished.
Carlsberg Brewery built
Planning proposals for new Southern District Approved
Queen Elizabeth's Silver Jubilee
Summer playscheme at Main Rd School
Fire at Q.E. Lower 15.01
Midsummer Meadow Baths demolished Q.E. Lower re-opened 01 09 after fire.
Princess of Wales funeral T.R.M.C. Playgroup closed to make way for new Church
Floods on Good Friday
Biggest firework display over Northampton new Millennium. Large Vats for Carlsberg arrived down Towcester Rd
T.R.M.C. Opened 20 May
Q.E. Lower School Golden Jubilee 12.07
Charles and Camilla in town. Bridge St Signal Box burnt Latimer and Crick Com Merchants Burnt
Far Cottons Working Means Club 100 yrs old Opening of Community Facility on Far Cotton Rec.