From Kellys 1890

 

Abbey Road Far Cotton

Towcester Rd to Althorpe St

Frank Letts (Abbey cottage)

St Marys Church registration station for Hardingstone district (F Russell registrar)

 

Alma Street, Main Rd to High St

East side

1 Rose and Crown PH Jn. Bates

31 Mrs Elizabeth Powell enfctnr

West side

2 Rogers Jn Grocer and Baker

10 William Robinson Baptist Chapel

 

Althorpe St

Main Rd to Abbey Rd

West side

2 Silvanus Wreford Jun beer retailer

4 Chas Thompson, shopkpr

East side

15 John Wadwell, greengrocer

33 Mrs Ann Facer shopkpr

59 Benjamin Haynes booter and storekeeper

William Wright cabinet macker

 

Bridge Street from South bridge

East side

Allen and Burnett brewers and spirit merchants

Smith Bros timber merchants &c

James Bros Lim patent horse shoe makers

William Allchin engineer and mill wright (globe works)

James Mold, timber merchants

Joseph Gold Midland Railway Goods Offices

Midland Railway coal depot

Nunn Browne & co coal mer

Pinxton Colliery Co. coal mers

Thos C Thompson  granary

Cash corn Co corn dealers (Fransis Stafford manager)

John Holt shopkeeper

Old White Hart Inn Stephen Branson

here the railway crosses

Marriot Hy.  Hay and straw merchants

 

West side

 

note rice foundry used to be  two doors up from the crown and anchor and was described as the eagle foundry

 

 

South bridge wharf

Geo Wm Savage brick makers

Phipps and Sons timber merchants  

Edmund Matthews Jn farrier

William Sale haulier

Walter Norton corn factor

Fredrick Freeman shopkeeper

Pomfret arms PH Joseph Cooke Wareing

Edward Trevythan Trenery timber merchant

Thomas Spencer Garfirth / beer retailer

here is Johnsons Row

Samuel Frost, butcher

here is old towcester road

London and North Western Old Station (Geo Teat station master)

Wall letterbox

William Thomas Dickens

here the railway crosses

Benj Pendred rope and twine maker

James Scudamoe tar parvior

 

a note Phipps baths was on the river end west side of Cattle Market Rd

 

High Street, Althrope St to Oxford St

South side

8 Mrs Mary Marriott shopkpr

11 Mrs Elizabeth Groocock shopkeeper

16 Wm Marycock shopkeeper

27 Wm Douglas shopkeeper

North side

William Grant baker

George Hislop, beer retalier

here is Alma St

James Wills beer retailer

 

New Althorpe St

Rothersthorpe Rd to Abbey Rd

George Bird coal merchant

 

Old  Towcester Road

North side

James brothers limited patent horse shoe makers

Edward Trevythan Trenery timber merchants

Thomas Tew greenmerchants

OLD GRAND JUNCTION WHARF

Herbert A.Beeby steam joinery and turnery works

Beeby Bros timber  and slate merchants timber importers, steam sawing, planing and moulding mills, corn merchants and steam millers

William George Beeby

 

-------

Thomas Allen glass embosser

Walter Norton (Ivy cottage)

Richard Oliver

Charles Archer beer retailer

L NW Railway co lodging hose for drivers Firemen and guards (Mrs Mary Howe housekeeper)

LNW railway co public weighing machine

Lenton Frewin coal merchant

Benjamin Oxley coal merchant

John Dale coal merchant

George Bird coal merchant

south side

LNWR old station (Geo Teat master)

LNWR Inquiry office

LNWR Goods depot

LNWR Public weighing machine

 

Oxford Street

Main Rd to High St

51 Benjamin Cooper shopkeeper

 

Rothersthorpe Rd

Geo Alfred Bird (mona cottage)

here is new Althorpe St

John Alfred Bennet releiving officer and registrar of births and deaths Milton subdistrict and schools attendance officer

 

Towcester Road

Silvanus Wreford cattle dealer (manor house)

here is Abbey Rd

St Marys Church

Deane Rev William Hodgson MA (St Mayrs Vicarage)

 

 

The ecclesicatical district of St Marys was formed October 29th 1875 out of the parish of Hardinstone and comprises Cotton end and Far Cotton The church was completed in 1885 from the designs of Mr M H Holding archietect of Northampton. Thr building is of local.stone with Bath stone dressings in a modified form of early English gothic consisting of apsidal chancel with north aisle and vestry, nave  of six bays with clerestory aisles north and south porches and has one small bell. Only the lower portion of the tower on the north side is at present errected: there are sittings for 490 persons. The register dates from 1875. The living is a vicarage gross yearly value £150 with residence, in the gift of the bishop of Peterborough and held since 1888 by Rev William Hodgson Deane MA of Exeter college Oxford. services 8am 11am 6:30 pm daily 10:40 wed and fri 7:30pm

 

Far cotton chapel Baptist Alma St  is a structure of brick seating 200 persons 2:40 and 6pm and tues 7:30pm

 

Far Cotton primitive methodist chapel Henley St errected in 1888 of red brick will seat 200 persons. Rev.George Parkin BD 2:30 and 6pm and tues 7:30 pm

 

Phipps baths were errected in 1876 by messrs Phipps brewers of this town at a cost of about £2000 the water is supplied from the brewery in Bridge st

 

In 1889 in the course of excavations made at the gas works a paved causway was discovered which was once continued accoss the river before the alteration of its course the causway probably led from the castle to Delapre or Hunsbury hill